Some / Any
Use some when the context is positive and any when it is negative as well as in most cases of questions. For example:
- I have some money / I don't have any money
- I put some jam in the sandwich / I didn't put any jam in the sandwich
Examples for some / any
- Would you like some ketchup to go with your fries?
- We don’t have any olives.
- I really want some striped socks.
- Do you have any wrapping paper?
- Let’s go have some fun.
- I’ve never heard of any of these artists.
- Chris found some wild strawberries growing by the side of the road.
- Do we have any jam or are we all out?
Write better and fasterGinger helps you write confidently.Start writing with Ginger
Some / any exercises
Decide whether you have to use some or any:
- Is there _______ milk left?
- There is _______ juice in the bottle.
- Do you have _______ coffee?
- I don't have _______ money left.
- She has _______ money.
- Do you know _______ of these singers?
- I don't know _______ of them.
- I know _______ of them.