Last / Latter
Use latter to refer to the second of two persons or things that have been mentioned. When more than two have been mentioned, use last. For example:
- He preferred oranges to apples, because the latter were not as juicy.
- He saw Leathal Weapon 1, 2, and 3 and liked the last one most.
Examples for Last / latter
- She watched all the Harry Potter movies and like the last one least.
- Mary is friends with Kerry and Kim. The former is her cousin, while the latter is her sister-in-law.
- Of apples, oranges, and grapes, the last is my favorite.
- There are two color options, red and black: the latter is much more popular.
- I take flute, violin, and piano lessons. I like the last one most.
- Maria speaks Spanish and English. She’s still perfecting the latter.
- I’ve read books by Shakespeare, Poe, and Tennyson. Of the three, the last bores me most.
- Henry was given the option to have vanilla or chocolate ice cream. He chose the latter.
Get Page and check your text using a unique Contextual Grammar and Spell Checker.
Get Keyboard and check your text using a unique Contextual Grammar and Spell Checker.Get to apply Grammar Rules related to Last / Latter directly to your text. Get to apply Grammar Rules related to Last / Latter directly to your text. Get to apply Grammar Rules related to Last / Latter directly to your text. Get to apply Grammar Rules related to Last / Latter directly to your text.
Last / latter exercises
Decide whether you have to use last or latter:
- Jack, Jill and Bob went up the hill; the _______ watched the other two fall down.
- The former half of the film is more interesting than the _______ half.
- Out of chapters 1, 2, and 3, the _______ one is the most difficult to learn.
- Dan is now friends with Ruth, Maya and Ben. The _______ is his cousin.
- Jane speaks Italian and English : the former language fairly well and the _______ fluently.
- There are two versions, A and B, but the _______ is more popular.
- Tom and Dick were both heroes but only the _______ is remembered today.
- I study math, English and history. I enjoy the _______ one most.