Typical adjective endings
Some adjectives can be identified by their endings. Typical adjective endings include:
- -able/-ible understandable, capable, readable, incredible
- -al mathematical, functional, influential, chemical
- -ful beautiful, bashful, helpful, harmful
- -ic artistic, manic, rustic, terrific
- -ive submissive, intuitive, inventive, attractive
- -less sleeveless, hopeless, groundless, restless
- -ous gorgeous, dangerous, adventurous, fabulous
Available everywhere you write: on the web, on the desktop and on all your mobile devices.
Sometimes when adding these endings changes have to be made. Here are some rules for forming adjectives and their exceptions:
|-al||If ending with an ‘e‘, drop it||Nature
|-y||If ending with an ‘e‘, drop it||Ice
|-ful||If ending with a ‘y‘, replace with an ‘i‘||Beauty
|-ous/-ious||If ending with a ‘y‘, drop it||Mystery
|-ic||If ending with a ‘y‘, drop it||History
Forming adjectives from nouns and verbs
Adjectives can be formed from different words. They can be formed from nouns:
Or even from other adjectives:
Examples of forming adjectives
- Our house color is a kind of yellow. → We live in a yellowish house.
- He often acts like a child. → He often acts in a childish way.
- The event was a big success. → We enjoyed a successful event.
- We enjoyed the sound of the drum’s rhythm. → We enjoyed the drum’s rhythmic sound.
- She adopted a dog without a home. → She adopted a homeless dog.
- Look out, that plant is poison. → Look out for that poisonous plant.
- It looks like it will rain today. → It looks like we’ll have rainy weather today.
- She always acts with courtesy. → She always behaves in a courteous manner.
- Her hair is pretty. → She has the prettiest hair.
- We go for a walk each day. → We go for a daily walk.
Forming adjectives exercises
- inventive, invent, invented
- curiosity, curious, curiousive
- proliferate, prolific, proud
Answers: A – inventive B – curious C – prolific
Answers: A – smelly B – chilly C – wide
Answers: A – interesting B – amazing C – annoying
Answers: A – escaped, escaping B – improved, improving C – damaged, damaging
Answers: A – funnier, funniest B – incorrectly C – bluest, bluer, blueish
Answers: A – magical B – foolish C – ladylike
Answers: A – lifelike, lifeless B – powerful, powerless C – friendly, friendless
Answers: A – costly B – warlike C – monthly
Answers: A – poisonous B – courteous C – mysterious
Answers: A – athletic B – photographic C – scientific