What are compound adjectives?
A compound adjective is formed when two or more adjectives are joined together to modify the same noun. These terms should be hyphenated to avoid confusion or ambiguity. For example:
- Diana submitted a 6-page document.
- She adopted a two-year-old cat.
Get Page and check your text using a unique Contextual Grammar and Spell Checker.
Get Keyboard and check your text using a unique Contextual Grammar and Spell Checker.Get to apply Grammar Rules related to Compound adjectives directly to your text. Get to apply Grammar Rules related to Compound adjectives directly to your text. Get to apply Grammar Rules related to Compound adjectives directly to your text. Get to apply Grammar Rules related to Compound adjectives directly to your text.
Compound adjectives – Exceptions
Note that combining an adverb and an adjective does not create a compound adjective. No hyphen is required because it is already clear that the adverb modifies the adjective rather than the subsequent noun. For example:
- It was a terribly hot day.
- It is an amazingly good idea.
In addition, you should not place a hyphen in a compound adjective if the adjectives are capitalized, such as when they are part of a title.
Examples of compound adjectives
- This is a four-foot table.
- Daniella is a part-time worker.
- This is an all-too-common error.
- Beware of the green-eyed monster.
- He is a cold-blooded man.
- I love this brightly-lit room!
- Danny’s dog is well-behaved.
- You have to be open-minded about things.
Compound adjective exercises
- Sheila was horribly moody.
- We’d like you to be part of the decision-making process.
- The company showed steady improvement in their stock trades.
- This is a widely used procedure for finishing wood floors.
- Moths ate his woolen socks.
- That was really generous of you.
- Sharon’s adopted son is five years old today.
- My new car has leather upholstery.
- She was a well-known actress by the time she reached age five.
Answers:B, A, C
- The group was full of rowdy 10 year old schoolboys.
- The group was full of rowdy 10-year-old schoolboys.
- The actress is well known.
- The actress is well-known.
- They enjoyed a three-year profit streak.
- They enjoyed a three-year-profit streak.
Answers:B, A, A
- Along the river, rapidly increasing floodwaters caused evacuations.
- Along the river, rapidly-increasing floodwaters caused evacuations.
- My neighbor Jim is an internationally recognized author.
- My neighbor Jim is an internationally-recognized author.
- The bank robbers tried to hatch their ill conceived plan and failed.
- The bank robbers tried to hatch their ill-conceived plan and failed.
Answers:A, A, B
- He is fond of ______________________ Scotch.
- 10 year old
- The weather has been ___________________ lately.
- terribly cold
- too cold
- Babysitting these kids is like trying to manage a _____________________.
- three ring circus
- three-ring circus
Answers: A – 12-year-old B – terribly cold C – three-ring circus
- Melanie has everything she needs. She is _____________________.
- very badly behaved
- well-cared for
- Louis overcomes difficulties easily. He is _______________________.
- internationally renowned
- Mr. Chan likes to hear about new ideas. He is ______________________.
- two faced
Answers: A – well-cared for B – level-headed C – open-minded
- Jesse was promoted, so he bought ________________________________.
- himself-a brand new car
- himself a brand-new-car
- himself a brand-new car
- The _______________________ has been going on for decades.
- gun control debate
- gun-control debate
- The sound of ___________________________ always soothes my mind.
- gently-flowing water
- gently flowing water
Answers: A – himself a brand-new car B – gun-control debate C – gently flowing water
- I don’t like glue that dries slowly. = This is a quick-drying glue.
- Did you know that some plants eat meat? = Did you know that there are meat-eating plants?
- Professor Brown has a very narrow mind. = Professor Brown’s mind is very narrow.
- The price of the car was high. = It was a high-priced car.
- The meal tasted good. = This was a tasteful-meal.
- He likes to weigh in on political issues. = He is loud-mouthed and boring.
- The tapeworm measured 35 inches. = The tape-worm measured 35-inches.
- The duck has flat feet. = That’s a flat-footed duck.
- Why not try some carrot juice? = Have some carrot-juice.
Answers:B – meat-eating plants A – high-priced car B – flat-footed duck
- The earthworms were at least three inches long.
- He ate a 12-inch sandwich for lunch.
- The sumo champion weighed 210-kilograms.
- He drives a one-ton truck.
- Our house has three-bedrooms and two-bathrooms.
- There are nine-carrots in each bottle of juice.
- My new chainsaw cost three-hundred dollars.
- I got a 300-dollar chainsaw for two hundred dollars.
- The best chainsaws cost more than three-hundred-dollars.
Answers:B – 12-inch sandwich A – one-ton truck B – 300-dollar chainsaw
- He suggested an innovative plan to save money.
- Her brother had a sharp mind.
- My cat died suddenly when it was ten years old.
- He suggested an innovative money-saving plan.
- Her brother was sharp-minded.
- My ten-year-old cat died suddenly.