Word Wednesday: English language fun facts!
We’ve combined some English fun facts that have nothing to do with any rules of grammar, or spelling. We hope you may find them interesting and entertaining!
1. There was no punctuation until the 15th century!
2. In England, in the 1880s, ‘pants’ was a dirty word.
3. ‘Town’ is the oldest word in the English language.
4. The shortest complete sentence in the English language is “I am”.
5. The word ‘four’ is the only number which has the same number of letters as its value.
6. E is the most used letter while Q is the least used of all the letters in the English alphabet.
7. There are no words that rhyme with ‘month’, ‘orange’, ‘silver’ and ‘purple’.
8. “Underground” is the only word in the English language that begins and ends with the letters “und.
9. To “testify” was based on men in the Roman court swearing to a statement made by swearing on their testicles.
The Ginger Team